What is your main interest in the Internet?

Monday, October 28, 2013

Carbon Digital Footprint

I have now obtained a LinkedIn account and increased the size of my digital footprint exponentially.  Being quite conservative socially, it all gives me this sensation of standing at the edge of a great chasm, in about 50 mph winds. I realize that it a progressive step in life, even as it goes against most of my reasoning.
                Right out of the gate I can see the benefits of having such a connection; professionalism. It will allow me to connect and engage with specialized contacts that will inevitably further my professional career. Through it I can keep current with other writers and publishers, be alerted to prospective job opportunities, and create a somewhat social resume for others to view.
                My concern, aside from immediate consumption of even more of my limited time, is the incursion upon my privacy. Unlike many, I do not like to openly share. My closest friends do not ever know what I will get them for Christmas or when I might stop in. I want my words, not my everyday life to be known. I like to be enigmatic, which to me is intriguing. I don’t need to know people that well; and well, I probably wouldn’t want to anyway.

                Perhaps I am being too vigilant. All things considered, we live in a world where all is accessible and little is wondrous any more. Unwittingly we follow, to be like all others, to be the carbon copy, to leave our carbon digital  footprint.  
kurtishewson.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment